Specifically he's studying on an enzyme involved in taking a poor, weak little estrogen and transforming it into a body builder estrogen.
- Increases HDL cholesterol (the good kind)
- Decreases LDL cholesterol (the bad kind)
- Promotes blood clot formation, and also causes some changes that have the opposite effect.
- Relaxes, smooths and dilates blood vessels so blood flow increases
- Soaks up free radicals, naturally occurring particles in the blood that can damage the arteries and other tissues." http://my.clevelandclinic.org/heart/prevention/estrogen-hormones/default.aspx
"Estrogen directly influences brain function through estrogen receptors located on neurons in multiple areas of the brain....Estrogen has been shown to protect isolated neurons in vitro from oxidative stress, ischemic injury, hypoglycemic injury, and damage by amyloid protein, which is implicated in the pathogenesis of Alzheimer's disease. It also stimulates production of nerve growth factors, thereby promoting neuronal growth and viability, repair of damaged neurons, and dendritic branching." http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/406718_2