Tuesday, February 4, 2014
EndoMarch Blog Week 3
Week 3 January 26th- February 1st
Write a Letter to Your Congressional Representative about Endometriosis, the Endomarch and why he/she should participate.
Here's what I wrote:
First, thank you for your service. I know it can be a demanding job and often thankless. I appreciate your time.
I am writing to invite you to the EndoMarch in Washington D.C. on March 13, 2014. This march, sponsored in part by the American Medical Association, the American Society of Reproductive Medicine, and other notable organizations, is for awareness about a medical condition that affects 1 in 10 women, namely endometriosis. Endometriosis, where growths of tissue similar to the lining of the uterus are found outside the uterus, can cause debilitating pain, infertility, poor quality of life, and many other complications. The delay of diagnosis is often up to 10 years. It can only be accurately diagnosed by surgical biopsy. The treatment options are often limited by antiquated theories and many doctors have not the time to explore the latest research on their own. To add to this, there are many misconceptions and myths in the general community. All these things can mean wasted time, money, and lives. (For more on endometriosis, see http://www.endofound.org/endometriosis)
With the March, we hope:
• To raise awareness about endometriosis and its effects on women and girls
• To educate and train members of the medical community, in order to promote early detection and improved treatment
• To work with our government and congress to allocate funding for endometriosis
• To unite women and their supporters to take a stand against endometriosis
• To find a cure for endometriosis, and to develop non-invasive diagnostic tests (For more details, see http://www.millionwomenmarch2014.org/)
This is a cause dear to me as I have experienced many losses due to my own struggle with endometriosis. I would appreciate your support that day, even if it is only to wear a yellow ribbon in honor of endometriosis or support the event on your social media.
Thank you again.